Patek Philippe: founded in 1839

On May 1st, 1839 two Polish immigrants, businessman Antoni Patek and watchmaker Franciszek Czapek joined forces to found Patek, Czapek & Cie, in Geneva.

In 1844, Mr. Patek met the French watchmaker, Mr. Adrien Philippe in Paris where the latter presented his pioneering stem winding and setting system by the crown.

In 1845, when Czapek decided to leave the company and to continue his activity on his own, the company name changed for Patek & Cie.

Later on, in 1851 when Mr. Philippe officially associated with the company, it was rebaptised Patek Philippe & Cie, before changing once more, in 1901, for Ancienne Manufacture d'Horlogerie Patek Philippe & Cie, S.A.

In 1932, the company was purchased by Charles and Jean Stern, two brothers owners of a fine dial manufacture in Geneva. Since then, Patek Philippe S.A. remains a family-owned firm.

In 2009, the company presidency was officially transmitted from the third to the fourth generation: Mr. Thierry Stern became president and his father Mr. Philippe Stern, honorary president.


Official Website

www.patek.com